The winter months are coming to a halt, and the idea of cottage cheese, nuts or a protein shake as a healthy snack is starting to seem a bit boring.
Seeing as you’ll naturally start to consume more liquids, – both for cooling off and hydrating – why not go back to one of the basic nutrition mainstays: the good old fashion smoothy (but with a little spin).
This is great as a pre-workout snack (you can even add a caffeine supplement for extra kick before hitting the gym), post workout snack (substitute the caffeine with protein powder) or simply for a refreshing taste of heaven.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Half a frozen, average sized banana
- Half a cup (125ml) of blueberries and raspberries, mixed (substitute for any other berry variants as you please)
- A quarter cup (62.5ml) frozen mango or pear, for consistency
- 2 tablespoons (25ml) agave nectar (if desired)
- A quarter cup (62.5ml) soymilk or coconut milk (if desired)
How to prepare
Pop everything in the food processor or blender and let it go until the liquid looks like ice cream. You may need to stop the mixer and scrape everything down the sides a few times before it all finally amalgamates. Be warned that you need to consume it immediately once it has been fully blended, otherwise it melts and loses its creaminess.