Healthy Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies
The smell of baking cookies is possibly something straight from heaven. The trick is to find a cookie recipe that won’t add to your waistline and we know how hard that is to find. We went out to get a recipe that will satisfy all your cravings without the added cheat factor. You won’t be disappointed.
Recipe: Chelsea’s Messy Apron
1 cup creamy peanut butter
2 tablespoons honey
4 tablespoons light brown sugar lightly packed
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons old-fashioned oats
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/2 cup chocolate chips / peanuts / raisins
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- In a medium sized bowl stir together the peanut butter, honey, and brown sugar. Do NOT warm up the peanut butter or the honey.
- Add in the oats, salt, baking soda, and vanilla extract. Stir well.
- In a separate bowl lightly beat the egg and then add it to the mixture.
- Stir in desired add-ins (chocolate chips/peanuts/raisins)
- The mixture will be thick and hard to stir. Continue stirring until combined and then use a cookie scoop to scoop out the dough. Press the dough very tightly in the cookie scoop to form the balls. Without a cookie scoop these tend to crumble.
- If not using a cookie scoop you will have to work with the dough a little bit more by squeezing it into a ball.
- Form the balls onto a cookie sheet and bake for 7-9 minutes.
- Watch the cookies closely and remove when the bottom barely starts to brown even if they don’t look completely done (they cook more as they cool). I burned a few cookies by not watching them – they look underdone and 30-60 seconds later they are burned! (TIP: I also found cooking smaller batches – like 6 on a tray worked the best)
- Remove and allow to cool completely.