December is drawing closer, which means one thing — December holidays! Whether you’re going on a family vacation or spending your days at home, this time off from work and school can make it difficult to keep active as a family. Your routine is thrown into disarray and the kids’ school sport has come to an end, so how do you keep fit as a family and prevent those dreaded Christmas kilos?
We’ve compiled a list of ways to keep active as a family.
For the homebodies
- Sit with your family and make a list of fun activities that each of you would enjoy. Work through this list and decide what would work best and plan your outings!
- Make a splash! If you don’t have your own pool, you can go to your nearest community pool or ask a neighbour if you can take a dip in theirs. This is also a great opportunity to teach the little ones how to swim if they’re still beginners.
- Set up neighborhood contests including jump rope, hula hoop or hopscotch.
- Organize community soccer, touchies or netball games or relay races.
- Go for a walk before or after dinner each night and enjoy the extra sunlight hours! These walks are perfect for getting to know your neighbourhood and parks in your area. This is also a fantastic way to get your pets out and about!
Use your extra free time to go to the gym when it’s quieter, like during the mid-afternoon.
- Team up for gardening. Get the whole family involved in gardening activities like mowing the lawn or planting new flowers or bushes.
For the Travellers
- Take a hike in the area you’re holidaying in, and get in touch with your surroundings. You don’t have to choose the most difficult hiking trails or take the longest routes, decide on what will work for your family (especially the little ones) and just have fun!
- If you’re at the beach, play some beach games! There’s almost always a game of touchies happening somewhere on any beach, or you can take paddles and play paddle ball. Another great way to stay in shape is to play beach volleyball, or just clamber on the rocks and run in the surf! Boogie boards are also a good way to get the little ones in the ocean and can help with conquering their fears.
- Find fun activities in your holiday destination. Most popular holiday spots have programmes to keep the kids entertained while mom and dad relax, so be on the lookout for activities in your area.
- If you’re taking your pets with you, make sure to walk them every day and let them get to know their new surroundings.